The bears have been mostly on Risinghill and continue to go into the trash cans to forage. They've been seen as early as 9 p.m. in neighbors' yards faraging through trash cans and eating fruit from fruit trees, particularly figs.
So, continued suggestions for living in harmony with our wildlife:
- Don't put your trash out until trash day morning.
- Keep trash cans in your garage if you have one.
- Use double trash bags to minimize the scent.
- Keep pet food inside at night.
- Harvest your fruit. If you have some to give away, let me know and I'll post to this blog to share with neighbors.
- If a bear is near your house, make loud noise (clanging of pots and pans). Bears will usually leave the scene when noise is heard.
- Also, lights deter bears. Maybe a motion sensor light is a good solution.
Again, we share the land with the animals. Let's do all we can to coexist.