Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Activity in The Canyon

I heard from a neighbor a few months ago that they were concerned about Santaria activity in Millard Canyon below the hairpin turn on Canyon Crest. They had found evidence of candles being lit in a canyon very vulnerable for fire. Here is an email I received from a neighbor on lower Canyon Crest:

"I'm writing to let you know of some disturbing activities in Millard Canyon just below the hairpin turn. Someone has apparently been conducting Santaria rituals in the woods and along the stream in this area. This has involved slaughtering chickens, smoking cigars and burning candles in dry brushy areas (apparently at night).

Some of the other materials used are coconuts, rum, piles of cinnamon bark and many spent matchbooks and other ritual debris. Over the past two years my friends and I have noted the carcasses of several chickens, ritual sites, and recently, a large joint of rotting meat and bone hanging from a tree in a plastic bag. The frequency of the activities seems to have increased lately.

My neighbor ran an online search regarding Santaria, and it seems all the materials I've mentioned are used in rituals. A person with the San Gabriel Mountains Regional Conservancy said this type of activity goes on in several of the foothill canyons along the San Gabriels.

Now, I consider myself a religiously tolerant person, but I draw the line at people killing chickens and playing with matches in the woods around here. I think this would be a concern for many Meadows residents since a wildfire originating from this area would likely block the only way out of the Meadows and wreak havoc."

One of our Towncouncilpersons has contacted the sheriff. Capt. Blow is sending a deputy to investigate.

No comments: